New York Style cheese cake
• 85g butter melted, plus extra for tin
• 140g digestive biscuits, made into fine crumbs
• 1 tbsp sugar, granulated or golden caster
For the cheesecake filling:
• 3 x 300g/11oz pack Philadelphia cheese, or other full-fat soft cheese
• 250g golden caster sugar
• 3 tbsp plain flour
• 1½ tsp vanilla extract
• finely grated zest of 1 lemon (about 2 tsp)
• 1½ tsp lemon juice
• 3 large eggs, plus 1 yolk
• 280ml soured cream
• Preheat the oven to fan 160C.Stir in the biscuit crumbs and sugar so the mixture is evenly moistened. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 minutes. Cool.
• For the filling, increase the oven temperature to fan 200Ct, beat the soft cheese until creamy, about 2 minutes gradually add the sugar, then the flour and a pinch of salt, scraping down the sides of the bowl and the paddle twice.
• Continue by adding the vanilla, lemon zest and juice. Whisk in the eggs and yolk, one at a time, Stir the 284ml soured cream until smooth, The batter should be smooth, light and somewhat airy.
• Brush the sides of the spring form tin with melted butter and put on a baking sheet. Pour in the filling – Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to fan 90C and bake for 25 minutes If you gently shake the tin, the filling should have a slight wobble. Turn off the oven and open the oven door for a cheesecake that’s creamy in the centre. Let cool in the oven for 2 hours. The cheesecake may get a slight crack on top as it cools.
• Combine the reserved soured cream with the 142ml carton, the sugar and lemon juice for the topping. Spread over the cheesecake right to the edges. Cover loosely with foil and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.